Monday, May 26, 2008

Out of the closet

As of this post, I am officially outing myself. That is to say, I am no longer using a pseudonym. This is partially because most of my loyal readers (both of you) already know who I am anyway. It is also because I am now, in some sense, an elected official. Two weeks ago, I was elected by Democratic residents of Colorado's first congressional district to be a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. I will be blogging about that convention and many of the events leading up to it, and in the spirit of transparency and intellectual honesty, I feel I should be pinning my name to these posts.

The spirit of Enik will live on at this site, however, and the blog will continue to bear his name. Who is Enik, you ask? Enik was a recurring character on "Land of the Lost," one of the cheapest sci-fi shows ever produced. He was part of (actually an ancestor to) a race of lizard-people known as the Sleestaks. The Sleestaks were terribly stupid and warlike, and mostly just hissed at each other. Enik, however, stood out from the others due to his intelligence, his dour outlook, his ability to speak English, and his vest. I was always inspired by his insistence upon reason, eloquence, and a code of honor when his peer group and even his own reptilian brain called for senseless violence and hissing.

In "The Last Temptation of Christ," Nikos Kazantzakis describes a prophet as one who laughs while others are crying and cries while others laugh. To me, Enik represents such an individual.

May his noble spirit always guide this blog.

4 comments:

lidzville said...

You´ll keep wearing the vest though, right?

Steve Balboni said...

Please do keep the vest, it really highlights your eyes.

Seriously though, congratulations on the election as a delegate.

Steve Balboni said...

Please do keep the vest, it really highlights your eyes.

Seriously though, congratulations on the election as a delegate.

zia sir said...

nice post
VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate Crack