Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nice words for the mainstream media

This is a blog, so I'm obligated to bag on the MSM once in a while. And I do. But let me just express a bit of kudos for two items.

First, I linked yesterday to a Scotusblog analysis of Sotomayor's rulings on race cases. I thought that was a useful analysis, but figured it would be ignored by much of the media. Wrong! I now learn that Paul Krugman went on "This Week" on Sunday armed with the Scotusblog study, only to find that host George Stephanopoulos already knew about it. So, nice work there.

Also, cheers to Newsweek for this devastating article about Oprah Winfrey and her elevation of the pseudo-scientific claims of her guests. You really should read it. It's infuriating. Did you know, for example, that Oprah privileges such medical experts as Suzanne Somers (who injects hormones into her vagina to keep herself youthful) and Jenny McCarthy (who believes the MMR vaccine gave her son autism), confronting them with nothing more critical than the occasional "You go girl"?

1 comment:

Lidzville said...

Nah, we still suck.