Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No, maybe you shouldn't

Chris Matthews is such a weird man:
On MSNBC News Wednesday night, "Hardball" host Chris Matthews had an idiosyncratic take on President Obama's first State of the Union. He told Keith Olbermann that during Obama's speech, "I forgot he was black."
Matthews seemed to be trying to articulate how Obama had moved beyond race. "He is post-racial by all appearances. You know, I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country and passed so much history in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about," Matthews said. "I was watching, I said, 'Wait a minute, he's an African-American guy in front of a bunch of other white people.' And here he is. President of the United States, and we've completely forgotten that tonight. Completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of his discussion -- it was so broad-ranging, so in tune with so many problems, of aspects, and aspects of American life that you don't think terms of the old tribalism, the old ethnicity."
He later added, "Maybe I shouldn't talk about it."

No comments: