Thursday, April 7, 2011

Learning guitar

Me during my midterm.
One of the things I've been doing during my sabbatical is taking guitar lessons. I've been attending classes once a week with a graduate student in classical guitar. He's actually taught me how to read music, something I haven't been able to do since middle school.

Guitar isn't totally new to me -- my friend Marc taught me some chords in college -- but I'm basically learning a completely new skill that's totally divorced from my career choice. I can't remember the last time I did that. (Perhaps making fondant.) It's surprisingly difficult. If my brain was ever wired to do this, it really isn't now. But making beautiful music after days or weeks of struggling with a piece is a very satisfying experience. The trick now is to keep at it after classes end.

8 comments:

Steve Greene said...

I'd love to play the guitar, but I'm such a wimp that, despite being relatively musical, I simply cannot handle any instrument where pain is an important part of the early stages. Damn those metal strings!

C. Zorn said...

Cool. Welcome to the large group of political scientists who are also guitarists. (I'm one, but there are many more).

Mike B. said...

Welcome to the even larger group of guitarists with an interest in political science! Well, considering the average guitarist's reading level, maybe that's not such a large group after all, but you could easily become our king.

marc said...

Is he teaching you classical?

Seth Masket said...

Thank you all for welcoming me into this subculture. I shall try and learn your ways before attempting to become king.
Marc: Yes, classical. Not actually what I'd intended to learn when I signed up, but between learning the notes and developing proper fingering techniques, I'm finding it pretty valuable.

Mike B. said...

P.S. Love the Crossroads pic. Ralph Macchio IS the blues.

Seth Masket said...

The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad, thinkin' about crane-kickin' a rich kid from the Valley.

Cherie Seldon said...

Great way to spend your time off. What kind of music do you play? It looks like you’re rockin’ some song in that photo. Perhaps you could share us that beautiful piece of music you wrote? Keep playin’! Cherie @ HamRockMusic